I went into the theater with little knowledge of the movie and the expectation of some lighthearted fun. To be honest, I don't think I have ever even seen Mary Poppins the whole way through and really just went along for the good company of sweet friends. I did not though, bargain for the roller coaster of emotions that hit me at each scene of the movie and the intense thoughts, pictures, memories, and realizations that have swarmed me after.
This is not, I repeat NOT a fluffy film about the making of a Disney movie. This was a beautifully told story of real life actions, consequences, and the path that life takes to make us who we are!
In the two hours I sat in that uncomfortable chair, I saw bits of how I got to be who I am and the kind of mother I want to be!
You see, whether we like to admit it or not, we are greatly affected by the childhood we have. The family we are born into and the way we are raised set the very tone for the rest of our lives. Coming from the mindset of my own childhood this brings up a mixed bag of good and bad. Luckily, the memories of the good outweigh the bad but both emotions do still coexist. This is not about me though, I know there is far more to the story then how I was raised and who I have become. More then that I am overcome with thoughts of what my own Mother has gone through and who I am raising my own daughters to be.
I thought about breaking down each thought but realized in doing so I would be revealing things I have no right to speak on (at least at this point in my life.) So instead I just want to say a quick thought and encourage you to see the movie through your own background and lens.
What each person in this life has experienced is what sets them up for who they will become. For some it is generations of love and good and joys and for others it is not. P.L Travers reminded me so much of my own mom and watching the story of her with her dad showed me how one might become that way.
To consider why someone is who they are is a beautiful gift we have to give. To not write them off for the actions they have (or lack there of) but to truly question, wonder, and ask is a responsibility we have in loving one another well. This movie showed me so clearly how one does not just wake up one day to be who they are: but took me on a two hour journey of how it can come to be.
Find out more about that person in your life who holds so much mystery. Boldly ask them more about their story so that you can better understand them and in return love them well and meet them in that place where they need to be. (I write this from my own vulnerability. So Mom, if you are reading this, I want to know more and invite you to write and share things with me...)
Take the time to invest into peoples lives and go beyond the surface of who you think they are. There are events that lead us and people who change us: each one leaving a lasting imprint on who it is we become. Our own words and actions also do the same for others so the responsibility is ours to be careful and thoughtful, because wounds run deep and impact so much more then our simple minds can see. (note: the entire movie is about just this!)
And lastly, do not give up on the ones you love even if you do not understand them. Be patient and pray and maybe, just maybe, like the film, you will see the whole picture and it will all make sense one day!
ok, Now Go, see the movie for yourself! And do not worry, there are PLENTY of laughs and light hearted moments to balance the intensity :)
well done Disney, so very very well done!

No comments:
Post a Comment