Friday, January 14, 2011

what to do with a board...

I have had a small wall in my dining room that I just was not content with the
way it was decorated. It had a few random things on it that did not flow...
so the other day I tore everything off the walls
(just to have little chunks of the wall
be ripped off by those silly adhesive hanging stickers, woops!- Andy was
not thrilled about that part!)

So after clearing the wall, Andy asked "what is your plan now?"
I had no idea...
I knew I didn't want a bunch of stuff anymore.

I decided I wanted a inspiration board, one where we can hang things we
like, write things down, ect.

So off to the store I went...
not really sure how I wanted it to look, I ran to Michael's
to find some supplies....

alomae and I roamed the aisles for awhile looking at frames, paint,
cork, boxes... but nothing really looked my style.

So I left with magnetic paint and a roll of cork and decided I needed to
do everything on my own!

this is what I came up with!




there was a rectangle piece of wood that was hanging on the wall before
that said "this is who I am and this is what I do" that andy had made for school.

So I painted it a couple times with magnetic paint followed by chalkboard paint.
I then covered half of the board with cork.
we had a long piece of reclaimed wood I had got for .50 from the
rebuilding center sitting around so I used that as the frame.

(i did not build the frame though, we have a friend at church who is
amazing when it comes to wood and cut and framed my board for me...
he did SUCH a better job then I could ever have done)

I really like the way it came out...it's a pretty decent size too, bigger
then the photos make it out to be..

I love that our home is being filled with unique hand made details
that you wont see everywhere..

1 comment:

Sarah Frills4Thrills said...

LOVE this! I was gonna say... how did you build that frame?! Hahaha! You could've done it! I have been asking for a nail gun for forever, but no one will get me one for some reason : ( Ha. Maybe Ian thinks it's hazardous for me to have one.

My latest thing is getting things from thrift stores and then "repurposing" them to better suit my taste and what I want to use them for. It's so much more fun and personal when you can do it yourself!